Thursday, March 20, 2014

Have you experienced your greatest compliment?



Have you experienced it?  Do you remember it?  What did they say?  The moment when they leaned in and softly spoke the greatest compliment you have ever heard.

Maybe you took a step back and awkwardly said thank you, oh wow, that is so kind of you, and only when you walked away did you smile to yourself and your heart filled with joy. 


This is the power of a compliment.  It brings hope, joy, and releases love into our life.  A compliment communicates that who we long to be is shining through and people are noticing. 

As I left England, I received one of these grand-daddy compliments.  A wonderful person said to me, “Know the best thing you could have done for all of us was not what you left us but what you have left in us.”

I don’t write this to brag on myself, but rather because it’s been a comment I have reflected on and been challenged by time and time again. (and I have enough of you out there that keep me humble on a regular basis!) :) 

For over a year now, God has been highlighting to me the "who" factor. 

Who am I when no one is watching? 
Who am I to strangers? 
Who am I going to be, rather than what am I going to do?

This who factor won’t escape me and I am thankful God will not let it.

Everywhere we go, we release who we are.  If we carry judgment, envy, hatred, or hurt that’s what we release.  If we carry joy, hope, peace, patience, or love then that’s what we release.  It’s that simple.

Yet for me, the what questions always seem to take precedence over my life. 

What does God want me to do? 
What’s my purpose?
What goals should I set? 

This year I am striving to ask the who questions more frequently.  

Who am I becoming? 
Who am I going to strive to be ? 
Who needs extra love and blessing today? 

At the beginning of the year I posted a similar blog, but like I said, the who factor won't escape me so maybe the more I talk about it, the more I will live it! 

Ok, enough about me already, what about you?  When did you experience it?  What did they say?  The moment when they leaned in and softly spoke the greatest compliment you have ever heard.


No comments:

Post a Comment