Wednesday, May 14, 2014

What's the question you never want to hear as a writer?


What exactly are you trying to say? 
I mean, I think I know, but what do you mean?


There they are, the dreaded questions every writer hears at some point in their life.

Translation?  Your attempts at communication have failed.  Try again.

Recently, I had TJ (my sister-in-law) read my latest poem below and her first comment was, it's good but what do you mean?

Now normally, as stated I might be crushed but with poetry this is sometimes just the response I am looking for.

I then asked her, what she thought it means?

After throwing out a few thoughts, she said she liked it, but it makes you think.

EXACTLY! I hope this poem makes you think.  Ponder it, chew on it, and digest it deeply.

And I want to know, what do YOU think it means?! :)


Soul’s Beat

There is a beat within my soul,
It burrows within, much like a mole. 

Deeper in, it moves, further down,
Oh, what is inside, what will be found?

It thirsts, it hungers, I speak no more,
So dry, so tepid, so rustic, and sore.

Homesick I cry, for who could be able?
To meet all my needs and render me stable.

This beat forever awakening me,
Never silent, but always, buzzing as a bee.

Swish, swish, there it goes, like waves on a shore.
Leaving only one thing, me starving for more. 

It won’t go away, not now, not ever,
It’s constant, you see, like everyday weather.

I look to those waves, the ocean so vast,
It’s here I am at home, for it’s silence at last.

No end in sight, so much to behold,
I peer at the ocean, or do I peer in my soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment