Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Is Your To Do List Holding You Back?






My to do list speaks of productivity. 

It says, “I have purpose, meaning, and a plan today.”

My to do list communicates an agenda. 

It sits before me, calling out to me to tick off another box.

My to do list means there are goals I want to achieve.

My to do list is an ongoing, growing set of activities. 

If accomplished in one day, it produces feelings of joy and satisfaction. 

My to do list can determine my worth but I try hard to not let it.


Now, who doesn’t love a good to do list?

I know I do but if I am not careful I can become a slave to my to do list.  Always craving the next box to check, and striving to complete the task.

My to do list isn’t wrong, bad, or evil.  In fact organization, productivity, and efficiency are my greatest strengths.

BUT…you knew there was a BUT coming.

There is a new season upon us, one where God’s voice is increasing and if we aren’t patient enough to stop, wait, and listen we will miss Him.  We will miss the wisdom and understanding He wants to drop into our spirits. 

His voice wants to direct us to the right or the left, and lead us to the places of deep refreshment.  His voice is our to do list.  To listen, lean in, and learn about who He is and how He directs, and where He really wants us spending our time.    

I am not throwing away my to do list altogether but sometimes that’s precisely what He’s asking me to do.  He’s asking me to not be a slave to the boxes but instead allow His voice to plan my agenda for the day.   

So today I am a little less anxious, a little less stressed, and a little more at peace because the to do list on my desk became a piece of paper with tasks, rather than a chain of duty at my finger tips.

So the question is NOT what’s on your to do list,
but rather is your to do list running you?

1 comment:

  1. Haha! This is GREAT! I totally agree that His voice is increasing. Micah and I were just talking about that the other night. He's up to something! And it's beginning with some more communication straight from the Father's heart!

    ReplyDelete