Sunday, February 9, 2014

A 7 year reflection...disappointment doesn't define me!



I have been reflecting a lot over the past 7 years, as I have journeyed from Ames, IA to Iowa City, IA to Sheffield, England, and now to Pawleys Island, South Carolina.  

My time in each place has been relatively short, yet my experience in each place has been extremely rich and full.    


As I forge ahead, wondering what new beginnings God has in store for me, this word of disappointment has crept up in my heart. 

Disappointment actually means to be depressed or discouraged by the failure of one’s hopes or expectations. 

The problem is I am not sure what I expected these last 7 years to look like, which makes it hard to pin point what exactly I am disappointed about.  Regardless of my expectations or lack there of, the word that jumped out to me was failure.    

A word I try to avoid at all costs!  My tendency is to find my worth in my achievement and performance rather than who God says I am, so if I am not careful I might look back on my time and see it through a lens that says Mikaela = failed.   

As I am moving forward, I realize that equation can quickly stop me in my tracks and derail my confidence. 

I know my Father in Heaven says, Mikaela = amazing beautiful success, but the challenge is keeping that truth in my heart. 

Disappointment isn’t something I want to carry around, but the reality is it’s not “disappointment” I am carrying around, it’s a truth about who I believe I am.

I don’t want to carry around a mindset that says I am a failure, because I know that’s NOT true, and won’t help me to push me ahead to conquer the new adventures that God has for me. 

So, I spent some time asking God what He says to keep reminding myself that Mikaela = beautiful amazing success.  Feel free to receive these words as well!

He says to me and you:

You are not a failure.  I don’t look at your life and see moments of failure. 

I see YOU. 

I see you on a journey, a journey of love, of life, and passion. 

I see ups and downs, highs and lows, BUT failure isn’t in my vocabulary for you. 

I see you victorious, I see you as an overcomer.

I see YOU, my daughter, ready to fly and ready to soar. 

Believe me, for who I see you as today!



Are you carrying around disappointment?

Are you carrying around a belief that you are a failure?

What’s the mindset you carry?


Believe Him, for who He says you are today!




No comments:

Post a Comment