Tuesday, July 15, 2014

How Flying Just Might Change Your Life!





Do you remember your first time flying?


Maybe you do.  Maybe you don’t.  I don’t remember mine but then again I was 5 years old headed to DisneyWorld so I think my main concern was Minnie Mouse. 

Recently, as I was flying through the air in route to the Schaefer farm, I realized what a privilege it is to fly.  Here are just a few of the reasons that sprang to mind:  

1.     It takes money.
2.     You can fly across the world in a day.  Seriously!
3.     You are served a free drink and pretzels while FLYING through the air. 
4.     You might have an opportunity to watch a movie.   
5.     If you are lucky your flight has Wi-Fi - posting on Facebook at 20,000 feet!
6.     If you have a lot of #1 you are probably in 1st class – endless drinks and snacks!

A few days ago as I found my way to exit row seat 13A, I was soon joined by my seat buddy who I will call Bob.  I never got his name, but he looked like a Bob, as he was decked out in a cowboy hat, boots, and even had dirt on his jeans, as if he literally just walked off the farm.  Come to find out, this was Bob’s first time flying. 

It was obvious as he listened intently to the flight instructions, securely fastened his seat belt, and when the pilot let us know there might be turbulence ahead, he made sure his seat belt was buckled, firmly around his waist.

Bob also couldn’t stop looking out the window.  Who can blame him?  The first time you see the view from a plane, it’s breathtaking, especially as we watched the sun go down.  Every time I am in a plane the view never ceases to amaze me.  Like clockwork, as I am staring out the window, seeing the world from a new and bigger perspective, God always seems to remind me of His bigger perspective which overlooks the earth and overlooks my life.  No matter what’s going on at the time, I feel a sense of peace and reassurance reminding me who’s in charge, knowing He sees every big and small detail.

As Bob flew for the first time, I imagine his perspective got a little bigger, and even on my 54th flight (or whatever it is) my perspective increased as well.

Flying is a privilege we often take for granted, and likewise so is perspective.  Every time I fly I sit amazed and alert to the beauty and brilliance of the view, and likewise I want to stay amazed and alert to God’s perspective, knowing there’s always more and new “views” He wants to show me as well.

Ding! Ding!  Once again the seat belt sign rings, and Bob quickly makes sure his seat belt is secure for landing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment