Friday, February 10, 2012

What makes you cry?!

This past year God has been showing me what it means to show honor to those who have gone before us.

Lately my heart has been breaking for the older generation. A generation in my mind that has been disregarded by the younger generations. So much emphasis is put on the next generation – as it should be BUT not at the expense of dismissing the wealth of wisdom that lies in the many people who have gone before us.

Each week I get the privilege of meeting with some older AKA wiser ladies. Our purpose in meeting – to sit in the presence of the Lord. I have learned SO much by LISTENING to these ladies and by WATCHING these ladies. My heart breaks to hear their stories and the heartache and hurt they have experienced (often times by the church.)

The other day I got the opportunity to share my heart with them - telling them that I honor them, I respect them, and I value them. With tears in my eyes and theirs as well, I told them we NEED them – our generation desperately needs spiritual mothers and fathers that have gone before us and can teach us what it means to walk with the Lord in the good and hard times, to teach us discipline, and to train us in the ways we should go.

My heart desires to see the generations mixing it up – real discipleship happening AND as sit and listened once again to hear these ladies hearts and have them pray for me as God begins this work, I walked away being reminded of what this "work" must look like. It’s so simple yet so foreign to so many. I heard the Lord say...

We must raise up Mary’s.

Generations of women who sit at Jesus’s feet.

This older generation whom I have grown to love have taught me what it means to desire nothing else but Jesus (I know I still have a long ways to go) BUT I know why they need to be leading the charge, it’s because they know what it is to live in the presence of the Lord.

What a challenge BUT as they say, COME ON LORD!


No comments:

Post a Comment